Dress colour illusion

SHARE:

Sometimes people see different colours of same object, this is called as colour illusion!. Here we summarise how that happens.

Is this dress "white and gold" or "blue and black"? Millions of people voted at buzzfeed.com and around 70% see the dress as white and gold. So, are the remaining 30% wrong? Nope. Actually, what you might see as white is actually blue. Cover everything else and look at just a small part without any surrounding colours. You'll see it's blue.

Colour illusion

You may have gathered this by now, but what we are experiencing is really a colour illusion. Colour illusions are images where the object’s surrounding colours trick the eye into incorrectly interpreting the colour.

What’s happening with #TheDress is that your eye is either discounting the blue so you’re seeing white and gold, or discounting the gold so your eye sees blue and black. But why would your eyes lie to you like this?

Human beings evolved to see in daylight, but daylight changes the colour of everything we see. Human eyes try to compensate for the chromatic bias of daylight colour.

We see objects because light is reflected. When we look at something, light enters the eye with different wavelengths which correspond to different colours. This light hits the retina in the back of the eye where pigments shoot signals to the part of the brain that processes these signals into an image.

Your brain figures out what colour light is bouncing off the object your eyes are looking at by subtracting that colour from the real colour of the object.

Speaking to Wired magazine, Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist who studies colour and vision at Wellesley College in Massachusetts said: “Most people will see the blue on the white background as blue. But on the black background, some might see it as white.”

COMMENTS

Name

Chemistry,3,Environmental Science,8,Facts,7,Insurance,1,Nature,8,News,6,Physics,4,Science,9,secret codes,4,Technology,6,
ltr
item
Be a Genius: Your source for Science and Technology Facts: Dress colour illusion
Dress colour illusion
Sometimes people see different colours of same object, this is called as colour illusion!. Here we summarise how that happens.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEiHYicLRszGYQMxqmpkHAuOhEohcFC3zvvS1ahtFzXTW_1O0UrUFLIP7KrmegtUwSfaxdELo-OhnPLF0eLb7fYsq08JM-9zsX59TLENS4WVQRm7n1MWm-eqJi_2BqTNQ2utbQci3o_zpkTS22ZYpElo-aGNQrZchWilUzX_tvaUydI7F9uvCu41IIIFhw=w400-h400
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEiHYicLRszGYQMxqmpkHAuOhEohcFC3zvvS1ahtFzXTW_1O0UrUFLIP7KrmegtUwSfaxdELo-OhnPLF0eLb7fYsq08JM-9zsX59TLENS4WVQRm7n1MWm-eqJi_2BqTNQ2utbQci3o_zpkTS22ZYpElo-aGNQrZchWilUzX_tvaUydI7F9uvCu41IIIFhw=s72-w400-c-h400
Be a Genius: Your source for Science and Technology Facts
https://www.beagenius000.org/2021/12/Dress-colour-illusion.html
https://www.beagenius000.org/
https://www.beagenius000.org/
https://www.beagenius000.org/2021/12/Dress-colour-illusion.html
true
5731024415862905610
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy Table of Content